It could be a function of age, but ever since I hit the big 3-0, I find myself looking less forward to dinners and nights out and more toward what this witty article describes as the “effortlessly stylish” meal of the day: Brunch. Admittedly a struggling morning person (read: brain insists I am one, but it is trapped in a body that is still warming up to the idea), it is during The Brunching Hour that I feel most refreshed, rejuvenated, and alert enough to act like a functioning human being. Add a glass of bubbly to that equation, and you will find yourself in lively company. :D
I’m quite happy to report that the last few years have seen a number of cool and cozy brunch places springing up in Manila. I’ll post a list here soon, but for now, here’s an entry devoted entirely to a particular neighborhood favorite: Wildflour Cafe + Bakery.
Co-owned by Chef Walter Manzke, a famed restaurateur from LA, Wildflour has all the ingredients that make for a good brunch place:
1. A vibrant social atmosphere. Not only do I get to catch up with the gang amidst bright and airy interiors, it’s a great place to pretty-peoplewatch. Communal tables add on to the cool, hip vibe.
2. Classic breakfast favorites (two words: bacon steak) and all-day dishes bursting with flavor and texture. The one that’s seen a lot of airtime in my Instagram account is their Seafood Spaghetti—a riot of a dish that features succulent shrimps, calamari and shellfish in a creamy, tangy sauce, and topped off with chopped pistachios. Start this off with a drizzle of lemon and this dish is perfection on a plate.
3. A lineup of breadsnob-worthy breads and sinful desserts. Salted Chocolate Cake is all I have to say.
4. Espresso that hits the spot. And, when I’m already in the middle of a food coma before dessert, a light and sweet cup of Pistachio au lait.
Finally, the most important brunch-enjoyment ingredient of them all…
5. Top-notch booze. The place has got your day-drinking bases covered. Mimosas, anyone?
Where to find it:
Wildflour has three branches—the original is in Net Lima in Bonifacio Global City (try the ice cream parlour beside it, too); another in Podium Mall in Ortigas Centre; and the biggest branch and my personal fave, the one in Leviste Street, Salcedo Village, Makati. Abuzz with activity especially on Saturday mornings (people converge in nearby Salcedo Park for the Saturday Market), be prepared to wait a bit to get seated if you have no reservation.
See you there at the brunching hour :)